Follow me on a journey through the Duxbury Free Library's cookbooks. Together we will explore new recipes, new cookbooks, and life's adventures through food.

Friday, September 27, 2013

What do I do with all those chipotle peppers?

I hate when I find a recipe that I want to make and it calls for a small amount of an ingredient that I have to buy a large amount of.  Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are a perfect example.  You only use one or two peppers for most recipes, but the can has 8 to 10 peppers in it.  I do love this ingredient, it adds a great smokey taste to recipes and some nice heat.  I always add it to my chili recipes, and it makes a great spread if you grind up one pepper and mix it with some of the adobo sauce and mayonnaise.  Just taste it for the heat level.


 I never use up a whole can at one time though, so I put the remainder of the can into a small freezer bag and flatted it out.  You can then freeze it and just break off a chunk when you need it for a new recipe.  Notice in my ingredients picture, the small bag.  That is the chipotle.  I also did the same thing with my left over tomato paste from the last recipe.  When I need a tablespoon or two next time I can just break off a piece.



Last weeks chili recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, but I had a 2 lb package.  Since I am trying to follow the recipes mostly as written I had an extra 1/2 lb of ground beef.  I decided to add this beef to the bowl that I had mixed the tomatoes in.  This bowl still had a little bit of tomato and seasoning in it.  I also added some chopped pepper and onions and then formed it into burgers.  I popped them in the freezer, and there is dinner one night for DH and me.



No comments:

Post a Comment